High blood pressure usually has no warning signs or symptoms, and many people do not know they have it. It’s important to get an accurate blood pressure reading so that you have a clearer picture of your risk for heart disease and stroke. People who have a high blood pressure at the doctor’s office may have normal readings at home because they are not as nervous. If you exercised, smoked, drank alcohol or caffeine, within 30 minutes of taking your blood pressure, your reading might be high.
- Don’t eat or drink anything 30 minutes before you take your blood pressure.
- Sit in a comfortable chair with your back supported for at least 5 minutes before your reading.
- Put both feet flat on the ground and keep your legs uncrossed and rest your arm with the cuff on a table at chest height.
- Make sure the blood pressure cuff is snug but not too tight and the cuff should be against your bare skin, not over clothing.
- Use a blood pressure log to record measurements in case you need to review them.
- Take your blood pressure at the same time every day and at least two readings.
Shop Online for blood pressure monitors.
Summerland PharmaChoice Pharmacy staff and certified healthcare specialists are available to assist you with your home health care needs. We have everything you need in a local community pharmacy, from health care products to prescription services and over-the-counter medicine. We provide in-store and in-home consultations, delivery and consistent follow-up care.